Tuesday, August 4, 2009

blue angels and grey green poachers

I was chatting with a co-worker this morning when over the treeline at Point Lobos emerged 6 jets in formation, silent at first but suddenly filling the air with that throaty sonic roar. Too late, I grabbed my camera off my belt, and as they turned north back towards Monterey, I zoomed the lens and snapped 2 photos. Angels are hard to see, of course, and even harder to snap a picture of.
We'd been discussing the crab poachers just offshore. Much easier to see, unfortunately. They really got our attention when they set off an M-80 type firecracker that's supposed to scare the seals away from their crabpots, legal where commercial fishing is allowed, but not in a national marine sanctuary. I think there may have been a welcoming party waiting for them when they got back to port. :)






No comments: