Friday, August 26, 2011

Fixing a hole where the bats get in?

Stringing a wire for the passion flower vine to trail on one day I noticed a hole at the peak of the garage gable. A previous woody vine had evidently caused the stones mortared there to come loose and they were long gone. In the meantine, it must have seemed like an inviting portal to a variety of creatures, I assume, based on certain evidence I found prevalent in there.
I mixed some mortar and set a granite stone, filling the void.

The rest of the garage interior has already been bat-proofed where the wood frame roof meets the granite walls. There is still a bat or two flying around inside the garage each night, but at least there is one less place where they could be getting in and out. I think the gaps at where the doors fit loosely against the granite walls are their last remaining access and I haven't figured out what to do about that yet.

No comments: