Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lightning on the water

Last Saturday I looked up and saw rain falling on the ocean at the horizon.  Suddenly, lightning stabbed down from the sky and electrified the ocean.  I grabbed the camera and started counting seconds between flashes to estimate timing till the next bolt.  I almost got lucky with this shot which shows a fading bolt. You'll need to click on the image for the larger version in order to see it.  Soon they were cracking over my head and the thunder was absolutely ear-splitting.  Thinking that the copper-roofed building where I was standing was perhaps not the safest place to seek shelter from the storm, I retreated to a less likely path to ground.  This thunderstorm and it's companions went on to start over 800 fires in California, many of which are still burning. 

No comments: